There was a birthday party for my father in-law a while back. It was a wonderful time and event. I’ve never heard my better half’s family sing a happy birthday so well and loud. But it went way beyond that. The kids put together a photo and video series that was wonderful and filled with personal messages from each. And each person shared something special from gifts from the heart and handmade items, to words of thanks and appreciation. I shared a few words below.
- First of all is the eternal thanks for giving me your daughter’s hand in marriage. That is a gift that just keeps on giving.
- Second is thanks for accepting me into your family so much. I didn’t just gain in-laws, I gained a family.
- Next is thank you for making my Moms years fun and including her so much in events and parties. And for being there for her and me at difficult times.
- You have continued the lesson of what my own parents taught me, in that family is a precious thing and not to be taken for granted.
- Also that living is important and not to be taken for granted.
- I didn’t have the chance to get to know my own Dad well. But I did get a chance to know you and I have great respect and thanks for all you and Mom have done for us and how you supported us throughout the years.
- Despite my outspoken nature and less than mature start in life you trusted me with your daughter and I thank you for looking beyond that time.
- You have always thought to share tidbits of life and experiences and how to look at things from another point of view at important times.
- I’ve enjoyed your chuckles at the things we experienced that you experienced many years before.
- You had a good work ethic which I admired.
- You are a compassionate and caring person. Both you and Mom.
- You showed me how the most important thing in life is the commitment to your partner in life.
- You are grandparents and parents of many children who should be honored to be bestowed the love you share.
- After my parents departed, you helped greatly in filling that void.
- I sometimes think my parents would be at ease knowing how much you love and care for me. I always tell them how you’re doing when I visit.
- I know I’m a better person for knowing you.