Yes, I still get excited about holiday weekends. I make the best of the time I have with them. And yes they piss me off because I’m one of those people who work holidays.
A long pet peeve of mine which is another thing to look forward to in retirement, getting holidays with friends and family and not having to bolt off to work.
But I won’t rain on everyone’s parade. Get the grills going, the friends and family called and on their way. Oh yeah, chill a few cold ones and raise your glasses to another summer in the books. Stick those toes in the sand one more time. Work on that tan and try to relax enough to make it into the last quarter of the year.
I tend to take most of my vacation time during the summer months. Unless my wife’s birthday falls on a weekday I work I usually don’t take any time off till the start of June. I guess that is why my summer always goes so fast. I have a good time and getting out and about on my favorite season.
I already see leaves on my deck and when I mowed the yard today there were a number of them on the lawn. Another month or so and I’ll start getting depressed about taking on another winter season. Fall is nice and certainly beautiful, but that grey season of slush and salt and sinkholes on my favorite roads is a major depression for me.
I might just stay in this winter. I did a pretty good job last year of hibernating. I’m going to see if I can improve on that. I better get an advance notice out to my friends that I’ll be hosting a lot when the temp drops below 40 degrees.
Random Thoughts of the Day
- Happiness is making a child smile and laugh.
- There is peace on a lawnmower.
- I just heard from one of my best friends in Florida who is hunkering down. As usual, he is helping someone less fortunate to be safer.
- I think we take for granted how many people are not able to move out of the way of storms. Not everyone is well off or surrounded by friends and family.
- Sometimes people flashback.
- I’m in a creative drought. Well, at least it feels like that. I’m so tired all the time now. It could be from the lack of sleep I get.