Just after midnight Wednesday I was listening to the wind propel things at my house. Well, mostly small branches from the oaks in the front yard and maybe. In the backyard, we lost another tree. Mother Nature decided to do some pruning. I heard it go. Just like I heard the one that took the power lines down on Halloween night during the last big blow.
I’m all for a nice breeze, it feels fresh outside after a good wind. But living next to woods gets a little tricky in the increasingly frequent stronger storms. I’ve seen a few of our neighbors take some pre-emptive actions. I’ve done that also. Had 7 trees out less than two years ago. I can see 3 more this spring on the agenda.
Most are the ash trees that have been hit by the ash bore. But some pines have been hit hard with something also. And then there are the very healthy oaks I have out front but too close to the house. I keep them trimmed well but they were too close together.
I love the trees. That is one of the reasons I like our area so. Its surrounded by woods and streams and wildlife. I used to be more concerned in the summertime with the severe thunderstorms but these fall storms seem to be just as bad. Or at least in my neck of the woods.
I think I’ll go look at some trees that won’t be affected by Mother Nature at the Festival of Trees this weekend. We haven’t done that as a family in several years so it should be a grand time.
Random Thoughts of the Day
- I spent some quality time with my Son today and it was a great reminder that there are few things if any, better than being a father.
- I think I’ll get up early tomorrow just so I can take a late afternoon nap.
- Once I find out I have very little shopping time left I’ll start to panic, but not until then.
- You know its scary when you realize you’re not as sharp as you used to be. Either that or my keys now have legs.
- I thought I wouldn’t have time for this today. I was glad I was wrong.