It’s coming. I can sense it. These fall temps aren’t fooling me. The Hawk=winter is on his way. Well, that is what the TV is blaring at us—something about sleet, ice, and maybe some flakes. Thankfully I have no place to go Thursday when they say that nonsense is headed to this area. I’ve seen enough poor driving on dry roads. Adding frozen and another wet precipitation is a disaster waiting to happen.
There are a few things that can dampen my spirit today. My workweek is over (had some vacation to burn) and my mind is starting to relax. The tension between the shoulders is dissipating and I hope to catch up on some much-needed rest.
Well, that great feeling was short-lived when the announcement of coming layoffs was made today at the job that pays the bills. Thanks for the relaxing thoughts I’ll be having over the holidays. Well, as they say, roll with the punches and hope for the best.
I wish we were back in the day when they did buyouts. But I doubt that is our current owner’s mindset. Days when they gave a year or two of pay, a couple of weeks for every year of service on top of that, and extended medical benefits and resources for training and help with looking for new work.
Hopefully, I won’t be part of this. I’ve survived many years through hard times in this industry and this is far from my first round of layoffs at my place of employment. I do feel for anyone who has experienced it. I’ve seen it cause great difficulties and hardships in people’s lives.
It’s that thing you have no control over regardless of how hard and effective you are at the job. And that is a disarming thought.
Random Thoughts of the Day
- My hardest decision today. What to have for dinner.
- I’m masking up again in big crowds.
- I haven’t thought about being retired at 65. I guess it’s a thought I’ll have to entertain if I’m on a certain list at work.
- I was hoping to make it to 25 years at The Post. Only 4 months to go.
- No sense in wasting time on what was or what could have been. Just what is in front of us now.
- I wish I hit publish before I left for the Maryland game tonight.