It may seem like I wish a lot in my writing here, but I really do less wishing and more work. When I’m busy working on interests or loving family and friends or earning a living I’m trying to be active making some wishes come true. And most all my wishes are for others.
Yes, when relaxed in a hammock on a hot summer day I might wish someone would bring me a pina colada. Yes, I might wish traffic could be better when waiting in miles-long backups. But other than those little things I’ve found it to be healthier to be busy working on life. Because the harder I work at making things better, the more wishes seem to appear that I didn’t even know I had.
There is a wish though that I do keep in the forefront of my mind. And that is the wish that those who are struggling with relationships, loss of family or close friends, those who are sick or in accidents that I know find comfort somehow. But again I turn that into action by trying to always be there for those in need. Be it a phone call, visit, email, or giving that listening ear people need. Or maybe just provide them with something to laugh about in the face of physical or mental challenges. Maybe helping in emotional support for their family.
This reminds me I have a few friends I need to touch base with today who are hurting. One physically and the other mentally. Both are the type of friends who are always there for everyone. Sometimes it’s difficult sustaining the balance between all the needs of friends and family and keeping your own life in order and staying sane at the same time. But going that extra mile for people. Being there for them long after a loved one passed to ease the transition to a new phase in life. Or being there for a friend who is going to need a long physical recovery period. Taking walks with them. Encouraging their strength. Whatever you can do for them along the way.
Those are the important things in life. Gifts that are far more special than flowers or sympathy cards. The gift of your TIME. It’s impossible to be perfect in every situation. Life’s demands dictate you can’t be there for everyone at the drop of a hat every time. But if you’re doing the best you can in that regard and it’s always your first thought before your own needs that is a good way to approach it. Keep that balance going because if you drain yourself you can’t help others.
Random Thoughts of the Day
- Life is always better when your thoughts are of others first.
- Funny, I didn’t feel this old when I woke up today. But by the end of the day, the way I felt confirmed it.
- I never played dollhouse when I was young being a guy, I know I played with my daughter when she was growing up, but playing with my granddaughter and watching her invent lives has reminded me of that joy all over. I mean there isn’t a cell inside me that could ever say no to a daughter or granddaughter saying play dollhouse with me.
- The sun this morning has brightened my spirits.
- I loved Trump’s big announcement. He continues to raise the bar of narcissism and grift to new levels all the time. Almost a parody of himself.