The mowing of grass, picking up sticks and branches, pulling weeds, putting fertilizer down, raking and filling in low spots. All chores most hate but I take some solace in. One it feels good to do some physical work. And when it’s summer I love it even more.
Yes, it would be easier to work on my tan in the hammock or lounge chair. But then I’d be missing out on the feeling of accomplishment. And sometimes when things are bothering me it’s good mental therapy. It can allow time for planning or reflection. I can revert to my youth as I drive the tractor, I can work out some physical aggression with a shovel or collect my thoughts with a rake. And even jump into the future with my star wars weed-killing spray canister.
It’s a multifaceted escape from phones, computers, and people. Nothing but you and earth. And that is kind of relaxing. And here we are at the brink of another day. The yard is almost pristine, just a little more trimming. Then the pool project will continue as today is dirt removal and cutting 6×6’s to shape for the retaining wall.
Well with the boys out of town I guess I’m going cruising sometime between now and sunset. It will be a comfortable ride and I just washed the go-cart so out we go for a spin.
I did something unusual, I took a day off in the middle of the workweek. I got to see the NBA finals with best friends and catch my breath on a Tuesday night. Sometimes I don’t realize how tired I am unless I don’t have to stay up. I’ve discovered a day off is good anytime. I made it worthwhile in both chores accomplished and some fun mixed in. The balance is good.
Random Thoughts of the Day
- The world may seem infinite in its size wonderment and beauty but we will soon realize its not.
- A great time is when I can make a friend laugh so hard that when they catch their breath they say to me “you just aren’t right.”
- We used to have such trust in each other. People that at one time would charge up a hill together in a blaze of fire, now they are more likely to fire on each other arguing who’s decision it was to charge the hill.
- Music is the time machine.
- Momements for oneself are sometimes very enlightening.