Distant Early Warning. One of my favorite songs from Rush but also a very distinct feeling I have at the same time. Something in my survival instinct is on alert and preparations are needed. I’ve never felt like this since the 60’s when things also seemed out of control on so many levels that as a child I never really felt safe. I remember my Mom crying when JFK was killed, I was 6. Then MLK and RFK, protest and riots. I saw what war was doing to people and families when we would go to Bethesda Naval Hospital which was my father’s last station when he passed in the mid-1960s.
I’m seeing more driving apart than together. It will be nice to see what effect this month of December has on society. We should look at the fellowship and commonality but we may be too far down the rabbit hole to make any real difference. In other words, the love and peace we share might be temporary and we return to our selfish mean spirited ways of thinking of each other as evil.
Now a lot of you would say no, people aren’t that way. And I do agree with that and look for the best in people and try to be the best I can be myself. We all see wonderful events of sharing, compassion, kindness each day. Far more than the selfish hateful acts. But I worry because I see some real seething hate and mistrust that gives way to alternate realities where it doesn’t even take events to trigger anger in reactions.
Well to hell with that serious stuff for a few days, I got a workweek to complete and a ton of chores. There are Xmas lights to hang outside. An artificial tree to assemble downstairs. A few party gifts to start wrapping and many other tasks.
There are family carvings I’d like to finish up before the end of the year. And I’ve got to get out and take some pictures around the county.
Random Thoughts of the Day
- If these calls flooding me about Medicare plans are any indication of what getting older is like I’m going to pull the plug on my home phone.
- My kids have newer tools than I do. Mine are broken in though.
- The man that stole the Salvation Army Red Kettle with money is trying to set a new low in seasonal spirit.
- It’s so nice gaining use of a limb again.
- To the CEO who fired 900 people over a Zoom call, nice decision Bozo. To all the remaining employees. Your emporor has no cloths, RUN.