Good meal, good friends, freezing temps. Well restaurants can’t control the weather outside or the friends you have but they certainly have the reigns for the food. And Catonsville Gourmet does a great job. Both the service and food are very good and it seems to be evident with the crowds that were there.
The place was hoping and they were slinging the food. The wait and kitchen staff seem to be like a well oiled machine. I’ve had both seafood and steaks here and you won’t go wrong with either but I would suggest the seafood because of all the specials they have and various ways, styles, sauces you can combine. The seafood itself is wonderful and whomever is picking it or the place that they get it from is doing a great job. The BBQ bacon wrapped shrimp skewers was a great start. The Grouper St Martin entrée was one of the best I’ve had ever. And I’ve eaten a lot of fresh caught Grouper fishing in Florida so I know the freshness, preparation and style was perfect.
Desert was an Amaretto/Raspberry cake which was also the tops. This was our 4th visit there and each time I very impressed and I keep having meals that top the last time which is hard to do being I’m very pleased each time I leave. Trying new things always comes out great.
I have to mention the service again. Very knowledgeable, very attentive and very good at keeping you posted on progress and checking on the quality of each dish. Refills were always coming before I even gave it a thought.
To me the place has a homey feel. It can be a little loud when packed. I thought it was great they had a space heater right near the front glass windows when the temps were in the teens and it would have been difficult to keep the temperature balanced for all people but that was a good touch. I didn’t even notice it till we were ready to leave.
I’ll certainly be returning.
- Call ahead seating (30 minutes) take advantage of it.
- Parking can be tight. There is a thin alleyway on the side and a good number of spaces right behind the building. It can be tight if you have a big vehicle.
- You won’t feel rushed. There can be a wait, they are getting more and more popular.
- You have to BYOB. Liquor store right across the street in case you forget.
- They have a great number of oysters and ways of preparing so if you like them, get them.
- Try the seafood.
- Good list of specials each day.
- Save room for deserts. Get up out of your seat and walk back to the case they have some of the cakes/pies and other treats in. Can you say Sugar Bakers Bakery and Smith Island cakes? They can.
- Oh. almost forgot the great start – the bread is excellent.
- Enjoy please.