Today is a prime example of why this season is so difficult for me. I slept till about 2:15 pm which was about 7 hours total. Still not a lot after being up for 28 hours straight. But those hours of sleep aren’t the issue. The limited exposure to sunlight is what is at issue.
I’m sitting here starting this post and it’s starting to get dark outside because sunset is in about 15 minutes 4:44 pm. Working nights in the summertime is good because you still have what seems like a normal day where the sun isn’t setting till between 8-9 pm. Not in the late fall, winter, and early spring. Darkness is my world and I’m reminded I’m kind of a nocturnal animal.
I don’t have an issue with darkness, and I can enjoy it. But again, in the summer stepping outside and enjoying the night sky or the sounds of the woods behind my house is a piece of cake. Not in the winter where you are frozen in a few seconds and unless you spend some time dressing for it, the experience isn’t comfortable.
So I guess I’m just a little depressed that these are the few tough months that I have to get through to make it to my favorite times of the year and more SUNLIGHT.
On the optimistic side, it’s 1 day closer to the weekend. Also, our home is just about in tip-top shape for the holidays. Both my better half and I got an early start on the decorating and it feels good to have it pretty much complete except for the upstairs tree which I hope to pick up this week.
I love putting up things that were in our parent’s homes for years.
Staying optimistic when not feeling 100% is sometimes a tough battle but we are winning today.
One thing I’m so glad about is that the long commute to work is done with. Looking back at the last 25 years of working in DC when I spent more than a year and a half in the car just getting back and forth to work is kind of depressing. The positive thing is I’m DONE making that ride. I’m working from home. If I ever have another job, it won’t involve more than a few minutes’ commute. Those long rides each way are history. It’s time to walk to my desk.
Random Thoughts of the Day
- Chili is a good choice this time of year for a meal.
- The ability to forgive is an incredible strength. One that I don’t always possess.
- I just looked at the weather forecast and it says rain for the next 5 days. Good thing weather forecasters are so wrong a lot of the time.
- Finding contentment with yourself makes the rest of the day a lot easier to endure.
- I can’t believe they haven’t said that act of shooting up those power stations in N.C. isn’t an act of domestic terrorism yet.
- If you can’t do what you love for a living, do something else that you can earn a lot from, retire early, and then do what you want.
- Remembering some special people this weekend.
- Getting a video of your son blowing bubbles on his infant son’s chest as you used to for him is a heartwarming feeling. They have the same laugh.