My lawn mower battery must be 10 years old at least. Each year I take it dutifully out of the mower, bring it in and charge it over the winter months. Well, truth be told my lazy behind didn’t do it this past year. I was wondering if my old John Deere was nearing the end of his life. The plastic pieces have snapped and cracked over the years outside in the shed in extreme temps. But that is why duct tape was invented. I must admit the seat is in great shape.
But back to the battery, I went to the shed and pulled the engine cover off and had the wrenches with me but as I grabbed the shed key, I also grabbed the mower key. All the way down the stairs and out the basement slider I’m thinking I’m not even to waste time cranking it and when I changed my mind I thought I’m not going to get a click out of that thing. So imagine my surprise when the engine started to turn over and fired up for about 30 seconds. I backed off the choke too soon. I tried again and bingo, it’s a fire breathing machine without pulling and charging the battery.
Small victories are nice once in a while because it seems we all get our fair share of setbacks trying to get things done. I’ll take the small victories every day of the week. Sometimes you got to dig deep for them. Some days no matter how many things go wrong you have to look at yourself as very fortunate. A simple thing like a dead battery shouldn’t be a setback.
But it was ALIVE, so life is good for an afternoon knowing that in a couple of days, I won’t have to do the first cut of the year with the push mower. Life is good.
Random Thoughts of the Day
- I still don’t understand the selfie. If I want to see myself, I remember a mirror being a useful device.
- I’ve never seen a bundle of cash so the concept of wishing for one never came up. And what do kids wish for now? More credit cards, bitcoins?
- Ah, the first day where a multiple sneeze attack hits, signaling allergy season is here. Luckily it’s much easier than it used to be and I can deal with some itchy eyes and a few sneezes.
- I think I’ll get up early and go for a walk in the morning around sunrise.
- It’s time to get snapping again.